Saturday, May 14, 2011

Oil, Gas and Applause… Please?

I received an email blast from Congressman Gene Green.  The text is listed below and I think it is worth the read.  Since I rip him when he is too far left, it is only fair that I tell you I agree with him on this topic and glad he has “stepped across the aisle.”

I called his office to encourage him to continue to push for jobs through energy.  THESE ARE ALL WORDS UNLESS YOU AND I PUSH HIM TO MAKE THIS A REALITY!

From Gene Green – Congressman

“Our top priority as a nation should be getting Americans back to work. This week I joined my colleagues across the aisle to support energy legislation that will help create jobs for Houstonians and Gulf Coast residents.

After the Macondo Oil Spill, the Department of Interior instituted a moratorium on shallow water and deep water drilling which lasted until May 28, 2010, and October 12, 2010, respectively. Though this moratorium has been lifted, the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, Regulation and Enforcement (BOEMRE) has been slow to approve applications for new leases. Our office has continued to hear from producers that permits are being denied without proper guidance on how to revise their applications to make them acceptable.

 

I support the safety measures the Department of Interior implemented following the spill, but the permitting delay is impacting job creation throughout the Gulf. Just one production rig creates 500 jobs -- 100 workers on the rig, plus 400 workers supporting drilling operations onshore. A recent study from Wood Mackenzie found that nearly one third of offshore drilling would become uneconomic without reform to the Department Interior’s leasing practices. According to some estimates, this could result in up to 125,000 jobs lost by 2015.
We produce 30% of the nation’s oil in the Gulf of Mexico and 10% of our natural gas. As we see gas prices continue to climb, our country cannot afford to shut off this critical energy source.

 

Following the Macondo spill, we must ensure that we pursue energy production safely and responsibly, but we still need this sector of our economy. . Domestic energy production is critical to our nation’s energy security and creates good paying American jobs. I will continue to support energy policies that protect jobs and the economy in the Houston area.”

-gene

 

While I think the O&G market is highly overregulated, I am glad to see a little sense left in the aging Gene Green.

No comments:

Post a Comment