Saturday, July 18, 2009

3 Elected Officials

Basics…

My entire motivation for creating this blog is political involvement.  My previous two posts focused on:

    1. Identifying 5 people who need you to help them with political understanding and,
    2. Defining the 4 R’s of restoring true conservative values.

This post focuses on 3 people at the federal level who really should be paying attention to you.  They are your two US Senators and your US Congressmen.

It seems to me, as of late, that many of our elected representatives have lost touch with reality.  So before I write my anecdotal stories of dealing with each - lets talk about how to start making your voice heard.  This is the basic list:

  1. Know your US Congressman.  Everyone in the USA lives in a congressional district.  For instance I live in US Congressional District #8 and my US Representative is Kevin Brady.  You can find all of your elected officials information at www.congress.org.
  2. Know your US Senators.  Every state in the USA elects two Senators.  Since I live in Texas mine are Kay Bailey Hutchinson and John Cornyn.  This information can also be found at www.congress.org.
  3. Learn as much of their contact information as you can.  I know that each of my 3 federal officials have offices in both Texas and Washington D.C.  For instance, Kevin Brady’s home office in Conroe, Texas is 936-441-5700 and his D.C. office is 202-225-4901.  I have a total of six phone numbers set to speed dial in my cell phone for all of my officials.  (On a side note, I also have US Congressman of other neighboring districts set to speed dial as well.)
  4. Call them and call them regularly.   I typically call with two purposes in mind.  First – to find out how the official intends to vote on a specific issues and second, to express my opinion an that issue. 

I use this format to express my opinion:

    • Introduce myself
    • Provide my zip code
    • State you expected vote
    • Summarize your thoughts

My most recent call to Senator Hutchison’s offices sounded like this…

“Hello – I am Ron and I live in Texas.  My zip code is XXXXX.  I am calling to get a message to the Senator.  I want her to know that I expect her to VOTE AGAINST the hate crimes bill that is now before the Senate.  I am opposed to this as I am opposed to special protection of any group – thank you.”

When I call to inquire of how an official stands on an issue, I use this format:

    • Introduce myself
    • Provide my zip code
    • Ask for known plans for an issue
    • Ask for a call back if I don’t get an answer or I ask to speak with a Senior Staff member.

My most recent call to Representative Brady’s offices sounded like this…

“Hello – I am Ron and I live in Mr. Brady’s district.  Do you know how he intends to vote on healthcare reform?”

I do this to see if I need to muster support of friends and family.  I do this if he is undecided or opposed to my thoughts.

If I do not get an answer – I ALWAYS ASK FOR A CALL BACK.

All of this can be done with email as well!!

Basic Info Gathering…

Next lets talk about how to get information.  Thanks to the internet, there are ample ways to stay plugged in to what is happening.

In the link section of this blog you will find several starting points.  I like them all.  There are many more available than what I have listed.

If you are new, start with these and explore the links provided at each site.  It is amazing what is out there.

Again, www.congress.org provides the most recent bills that are being considered. Senate bills are identified with “S” and house bills with “HR”.

Youtube is a great resource for seeing people in their own words.

Advanced Involvement…

A few tricks I have learned to get my voice heard.

  1. You  may request a personal meeting with your elected officials.  Don’t be afraid to make that request.  When you do make the request, have them email you the meeting request form.  Most staffers are trained to attempt to answer your questions so that you will not want to request a meeting.  Don’t let them talk you out of the request.
  2. When the form is sent to you via email, capture the email address.  You now have an active staffer’s email.  This has been most helpful for me.  (Do schedule a meeting and have it.  Be prepared!)
  3. If you are in DC, walk in to the offices.  Become your own lobbyist.  Walk in, introduce yourself, and asked to see your representative.  You may be surprised how easy it really is…
  4. When you call your official’s offices and a staff member does not know the answer to your question… demand a call back.  This puts you on the radar as being serious.

Until we meet again, may God bless you and may God bless the USA.

1 comment:

  1. Ron, this is great information. I'm going to try it on Sheila Jackson-Lee (my Congress critter) and see if I get yelled at.

    ReplyDelete