Friday, August 7, 2009

Quick talking points on healthcare

One concept that you must know before talking about health care is SPS.  It is short for SINGLE PAYER SYSTEM.  A single payer systems looks great in theory – but – means that ALL funding for ALL the healthcare you will need will come from ONE SOURCE.  That source is the United States government.  (Click here for a more detailed description of a single payer system.)

Talking points for opposing a federally mandated universal health insurance:

#1     I have a lack of trust for the current administration.  Obama has said repeatedly he wants a SINGLE PAYER SYSTEM.  Obama has said repeatedly he does not want a SINGLE PAYER SYSTEM.  Look at the video clip and you decide who is lying… Obama or Obama.

It is clear to me that the Obama administration wants a single payer system because it forces dependence on the state and ultimately gives the government control over your life.

#2     I know – for a fact, that Health care INSURANCE is a benefit, not a right.  The US Constitution does not guarantee or create any claim to a right of health insurance. (Source – The United State Constitution.)

#3     There ARE NOT 47 million people without health  insurance coverage. THIS IS A MYTH and should not be used as a statistic to provide universal coverage.  (Source – Golden State Patriot OR CNS News.)

#4     It is my belief that there are no other countries in the world where a single payer system or government controlled system is doing a good job.  In fact the Obama’s press secretary did not commit to which countries are doing it well when he was asked by reporters.

#5    There is very confusing language in the bill regarding end of life counseling, medical decisions, and medical record management.  It is my belief that none of this should not be in the hands of the government.  All of these items should be between family members and medical personnel.

Summary of Talking Points

  1. Obama is inconsistent on SPS.
  2. Insurance is a benefit not a right.
  3. There are not 47 million people without healthcare.
  4. SPS is NOT working in other countries.
  5. Language of the bill is confusing and grants powers to the government that belong to patients, doctors, and families.

2 comments:

  1. I agree to all said. But will offer a comment on point #4; my dad (who is a German citizen still) praises the universal coverage in Germany... although I have no idea how it's set up... but maybe something to check out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1) According to the US Census, from 1987 to 2007, the number of individuals without health care has risen to 45 million (not sure, but I don't think since then it has fallen that much)
    11% of children in the US don't have health insurance (2007)
    (http://www.census.gov/hhes/www/hlthins/hlthin07/hlthfigs07.html)

    2) According to CIA.gov, The United States ranks lower than at least 43 nations in infant mortality rates. These nations include Sweden, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, and New Zealand. The United States ranks 50th in life expectancy, behind all of these nations as well.

    3) Roughly half of people who file for bankruptcy do so due to medical bills, according to a Harvard study. Even with "health insurance" medical bills are still very expensive and can leave people with little to nothing. I purchase the best insurance I can afford and I still have a $7500 deductible, which would leave me with negative in the bank.
    (http://www.law.harvard.edu/news/2005/02/03_bankruptcy.php)

    4) Health insurance may not be a right guaranteed in our Constitution, but perhaps it should be. We've added the right to equality, freedom of speech, the right to bear arms, and the right to vote. I think the right to good health and quality of life should be allowed to everyone as well, not just those who can afford it. Denying people such a right just seems so selfish, what happened to helping our fellow man?

    5) People argue that having a public health insurance program will put a middle man (the government) between us and our doctor, and perhaps dictate which doctor we can see. Well, sorry to say but that already exists. Private insurance companies already do that. When my father's insurance changed at work I could no longer see my doctor I had previously seen all my life for a back problem. Same happened with my boyfriend's family and their family doctor. My father's insurance company also decided it doesn't cover a preventive care heart test, so his doctor had to come up with a different test that will hopefully work as well.

    I know some people believe that a public health care system would also result in a less competitive field and worse care from physicians. I have a number of friends in both New Zealand and Canada, and I have never heard a bad word about health care there. My friends in New Zealand have actually said they love it. And having lived in New Zealand and roomed with flatmates who were studying radiation therapy, I can tell you first hand that it is still a very competitive and difficult program!

    I do not know if this bill currently in Congress will be the best solution to our Health Care problems, but I do believe that a public form of Health Care is something the United States would benefit from implementing. Our costs per capita could be less, and more people could receive health care.

    ReplyDelete